Sunday, October 3, 2010

Popcorn and Hooker Boots



Last night my friend Carrie and I went to the movies. We saw the movie You Again---not an Academy Award winner, but another score for the hot-again octogenarian Betty White. But that wasn't the most interesting part of the evening.


So as we were leaving the theater, walking the opposite direction toward the theater for the late show was--- a rather, ahem, head-turning couple.


Picture a middle aged man, conservatively dressed---- accompanied by a woman with long jet black hair and dressed in a low cut top, thigh high heeled boots and a micro micro mini with slits up the sides---an article that barely could be classified as a skirt let alone be worn in public.


Let's just say the whole ensemble was the kind of outfit not just meant for bold and brazen dressers, but the kind designed to grab attention from city blocks away (if you know what I mean).


I had to check the date on my cell phone--first thinking they had come from a Halloween party. 


Signs are pointing to two things :
A.) This was a woman of the night 
B.) This was a chick with extraordinarily bad judgement in situational dressing.


Or maybe my yoga pants and sweatshirt were a little too demure. Maybe I'm out of touch with fashion. I can just imagine in my closet I have some neon fishnets left over from a college costume party----next time I'll rethink. 


I digress.


Carrie and I probably got whiplash giving them a second look...but we weren't the only ones. People were literally doing the lightning glance of shame. In Henrietta NY---it's kind of an interesting oddity. There aren't a lot of Vivian Ward types roaming around this family friendly suburb. Which leads me to the question---
Do hookers get taken to the movies on their "dates"? 


I'm sure hookers go to the movies...I mean surely we can't assume that this pop culture pastime is lost on them. Now I wish I'd stuck around to see which movie they went to...
The new Wall Street movie...a Disney flick, The Social Network perhaps.
I apologize in advance just in case there are hookers who read my blog. 
Just simple curiosity, that's all. 


Now I want some of you readers to share your stories...
Tell me about your favorite "people watching" double take moment....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Readers, I don't see many "double take" stories... Ok, so once I was at a late night movie and after consuming a 32 oz soda...needed a quick trip to the mens room so as not to miss the movie finish. When entering the mens room I encountered an Elvira look alike fixing "her" hair in the mirror...Wow. My first reaction was to quickly check the sign on the door to make sure I was in the right room. I was. Then I entered a stall for security, ehmmm...., and then left. Turns out I didn't realize there was a late showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show...and Elvira's were everywhere in the lobby... . Oh well...another part of my educational experience from the youth around me.