Saturday, April 5, 2008

Hooray for May

The next few weeks leading up to May are going to pretty exciting for me.
The first weekend in May as most of you know is going to be quite an exciting one.
Friday May 2nd is the Stupid Cancer Happy Hour in Rochester!! We are holding it at the Otter Lodge and Matthew Zachary, fearless founder of I'm Too Young For This will be the special guest. I have been talking about and trying to plan since last summer when I first talked to Matthew on the phone. Then the next day Saturday May 3 myself, my group members and Matthew will travel on to Syracuse for an all day conference put on by the Leukemia Lymphoma Society! Phew, it makes me excited and tired just thinking about it.

A lot ahead in May. Then May 14 I will fly out to Montana for the Young Adult Survivors Conference in Montana! Big sky country. I am so looking forward to it.
Friday May 23rd I will be speaking at a conference in Ithaca. May is going to be packed. I need to pace myself in April just to save up the juice for the month ahead.
So many exciting things. It's hard to believe that a year ago I had just started back at work and was spending the rest of my time sleeping just to make it through the day. I have tremendous gratitude that I am able to do more with my life and have energy to accomplish it.

However, reminders never fall silently that I need to always be on top of things...and save plenty of time for rest and balance. Gratitude is a funny thing, because if you appreciate good health the way someone who has been very sick does, you are constantly aware of what the other end of the spectrum feels like. If there were a way to just keep it like this, healthy and able bodied I imagine how full life could be. It's not to say that when I had cancer I wasn't living...I was, even sick I appreciated everything around me. Yet, I was slowed down and not able to go the pace I wanted to. So now I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time.

No comments: