Monday, July 7, 2008

Where is Obama?

It is now a little over 2 weeks until the Livestrong Summit.
I am so excited about it and I've drawn a circle on my map with Columbus in the center. I will be one of 1,000 delegates who will represent a desire to make cancer and issues related to survivorship a national priority. But there's one thing I can't quite get out of my mind.

As of this blog Senator Barack Obama has not confirmed his appearance or participation at the Summit. Senator John McCain is slated to speak in what is being titled a Presidential Townhall on Cancer. But where is OBAMA?

I've written several empassioned pleas to the Obama camps' websites and only get those cheesy automatic form letters back asking me to contribute to the campaign. Wait one minute. Obama is my guy, and I'm not ashamed to admit it...but he sure is letting me down if he doesn't show up in Columbus. What else could he have to do that's more important than this? He's making me hold my breath here...

It is so vital for the masses gathering there in Columbus to see what Senator Obama brings to the table and to know his plan for the 10 million cancer survivors of this country.
I can't imagine what could be more of a priority than making this powerful statement to those of us in the audience. There just isn't any other way around it. In order to make it clear you place cancer as a priority it's a no-brainer. But what is keeping him from signing on?

Accepting this challenge to speak out before this strong coalition of survivors, advocates and crusaders is the ultimate gesture of commitment to their fight. With this one step he would clarify his position, not just under the generic umbrella of healthcare but on a disease that takes 1,500 American lives every day and forever changes millions of others who survive.

I am afraid Senator Obama might send a strong message without saying a word. I'm not saying that this could lose him the election, but frankly, would you want an audience to think your opponent has the better plan simply just because you don't show up?
We know he has a plan...we just want to hear it.

WE'RE WAITING FOR YOU TO SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE...Senator Obama

Will we SEE YOU IN COLUMBUS?

1 comment:

Henrike said...

Hi Leah,

I'm the international mentor for the Livestrong Challenge and from Germany, so I've heard some rumors for Senator Obama's travel plans.

His press people hinted that he'd be in Berlin, Heidelberg, Ramstein on July 24th. London is supposed to be late next week (according to the Times), Iraq, Afghanistan and Israel in between those dates and Paris on the 25th. So that'd only leave Saturday or Sunday. And that would probably conflict with the summit schedule and people's flights, I suppose, with the summit ending on sunday.

Nothing's confirmed and probably won't be due to security reasons, but I have very little hope left that he'd actually speak at the summit.

See you in Columbus,

Henrike.